Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Feb 10 12:29:36 UTC 2009

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>>
>> Finally, when all is said and done, security is _my_ problem.
>
> Depends. People usually crack a system and then use it as a gateway to
> crack other systems. Then it becomes more of a global issue.
>
> I do
>> expect that any sensible operating system will include tools to manage
>> security and documentation of those tools, but it should be _my_
>> choice whether root can login, whether control-alt-bs kills X and
>> whether system-req+B does an instant reboot.
>
> Correct. All that has been changed is the default. You can very well
> flip it back with some trivial configuration change.
>
> Rahul

The problem, as has already been mentioned and which you seem to have
overlooked is that when an administrator finds it's locked up, it's too
late to fix it. _I_ for one don't like to put my system integrity in
jeopardy by use of the reset button (which most of my systems lack) or a
power button which might, but rarely does, shut down the system cleanly.

I will begin to think Red Hat thinks X security is a problem when it
does one or more of these:
1. Support, with a full set of configuration tools, server installs
without X.
2. Install root's desktop without openoffice.org, GUI email software and
GUI browsers, even when all those things are installed and available for
ordinary users.

--

Cheers
John