Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

Jerry Amundson jamundso at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 05:24:03 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 4:35 PM, John Summerfield
<debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Because X too is essential for many things I do, especially when RH
> configuration tools are involved.

I agree. All the more reason for the Redhat/Fedora powers-that-be to
pay attention, and to listen to it's user base.

And yet, instead we get this...

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> The above admin should take the argument to the upstream of the
> software.

How unhelpful. Knowing full well the topic has been discussed ad
nauseam upstream, we're pointed back there anyway.

I'm a command-line guy, born and raised, so I look at it this way:
I install X and the ensuing RH tools for one reason - The hope that,
someday, Linux servers will rule my computer room, and everyone
else's. Then, I point my Windows-centric co-workers to a graphical
console, and, from my chair on the beach sipping mai-tai's, talk them
through fairly "technical" changes on the servers.

A screwed up, hung, console wrecks my plan for Linux World Domination.
And no-one can deny that the X tools have the same basic goal.
Usability, even for technical tasks.

The alternate VT, kill, restart, is more work for me.
The X -config, change zap setting, is more work for me.
The server reboot looks bad to everyone.
If my employer sees me working more, they buy less Linux - the Windows
servers are faster to administer in their eyes.

Anybody listening now?

jerry