Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Wed Feb 11 08:01:07 UTC 2009

	--Per Bothner

----- "Ralf Corsepius" <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

> Per Bothner wrote:
> > "Jerry Amundson" <jamundso at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The downside of C-A-Bs accidentally typed hurts users
> > who may not know what happened, and thus may give X a had name.
> Are you serious?

Yes. I'm not saying accidentally typing C-A-Bs is a significant
factor in giving X a bad name - just that the cost-benefit tradeoff
to me suggests the traditional behavior isn't really a good idea.

> Except that every couple of years, a groups of vocal folks (presumably
> newcomers) complains about it when accidentally hitting it, nothing
> actually serious has happened.

I'm not complaining for myself - but in this case I'd weigh higher
the concerns of newcomers than somebody somebody who thinks they
need a one-key-combination shortcut for killing X.  I can't take
seriously the complaint that switching to a virtual terminal to
kill X is too much work - if that is the case, your workload is
highly atypical ...

(Lest you think I'm a newcomer: 20 years ago my day job at
Digital Equipment Corporation was optimizing an X server driver.)