Trying to build tightvnc for FC10 from FC11 src.rpm

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Thu Feb 12 18:57:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 13:32 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> So what should be my current dir, and what rpmbuild command do I use? (I
> will add this to my journal of 'learning rpmbuilding').

Build from the *specfile*, not the SRPM:

rpmbuild -ba tightvnc.spec

If that's successful you'll get new binary RPMS and a new SRPM, which
includes your customized tightvnc.spec.

I recommend also adding --define 'dist .rm1' or similar, to make it
obvious that you're using a package that you built rather than a Fedora
package. (I do --define 'dist .ww1' - either way, it's considered
"newer" than .fcX)

-w