F11 Xorg/Mesa/DRI testing proposal

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Feb 13 15:55:54 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 01:38:50 +0100,
  FD Cami <fcami at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Our goal is to record what works as expected on mainstream, supported
> hardware with free drivers (nv, i810, radeon, soon nouveau), what does
> not, and track regressions from Alpha to GA.

Considering the current state of video (Xorg, KMS, et. al.) I wouldn't
be worried as much abotu regressions from alpha, but just getting stuff
to work period.
I have a rv280 and rv530 based cards and I regularly have to switch between
using nomodeset and not using nomodeset to get things working reasonably
after kernel updates. I see glxgears causing lockups on the rv280, xorg
using an inordinate amount of cpu time, have to rebuild my own copy of
the ati driver for the rv280 because the EDID detection of the attached
monitor doesn't work correctly, and at times (but not today) have to do
numerous X restarts (using C-A-BS) when the system comes up to get a display
that isn't black (typically with no signal).