.fc9 packages and friends in Rawhide

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Sat Feb 14 15:03:39 UTC 2009

CB> Interesting.  I also noticed I have many packages with no .fcXX
CB> number, such as:

It is not in any way required to use dist tags, so having packages
without them is not a problem.  It merely simplifies some internal
maintenance issues (allowing a maintainer to use the same spec file
for many releases).

It is quite alright for some old packages to persist in newer
releases; if a package contains nothing but unchanging data, why would
it be rebuilt?  It's just more to download when you upgrade.  Of
course, at some point we'll have to rebuild such packages to pick up
new rpm features, and at that point I'd expect everything to acquire
the new tag.

 - J<