Firefox performance

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Feb 15 16:38:24 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 04:23:16PM +0100, Adam Pribyl wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Feb 2009, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>

>> Wine is a reimplementation of the Windows API. It is not an emulator.
>
> OK of course.
>
>> switching, startup time etc., which have little or anything to do with
>> Javascript.
>
> Yes that's true.
>
> Just my addition to those "where the problem is not". Tried nv, nouveau,
> nvidia drivers. The results are more or less the same, no significant
> difference.

For what it's worth, judging from the slashdot comments, many of which
are apparently from knowledgeable programmers, it's not a Fedora issue,
but a firefox/Linux issue.

It also holds for opera, much higher scores in Wine, and using
VirtualBox, running Windows 2000 with half the amount of RAM that the
native system uses.

It also seems to be the case in FreeBSD (running native firefox and
opera vs. linux-emulation FreeBSD firefox and opera.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

 Joyce: But maybe, we could spend some time together soon? Some night
when I'm not being held hostage by a raving psychotic.