dependencies running wild again

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Feb 17 07:37:21 UTC 2009

Steve Grubb wrote:
> This is madness. The dependencies pull in mysql server, but yet its not
> chkconfig'ed to actually run.

It's not needed to be. Akonadi starts its own per-user instance
automatically, no configuration or systemwide service needed.

> So what gives? Why force a new server to install on a stable release?

Because the new version of KDE needs it.

> And then after forcing it onto people's machines, its not even used?

It's used, just not as a systemwide service. Akonadi starts the mysqld
executable as the current user.

> Changes like this belong on rawhide, not F-9 stable.

KDE 4.2 brings many improvements our users have been waiting for ever since
we started shipping KDE 4, and the libraries are backwards-compatible. So
withholding it until F11 would not have been a good idea.

        Kevin Kofler