Audacity with Fedora 11 development

Tom London selinux at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 23:07:12 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 12:46 PM, Michael Schwendt
<mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 10:57:59 -0800, Tom wrote:
>
>> [Any idea why it seems to be "confabulating" ID3 tags on export?  I
>> believe they are actually there, but id3info/id3v2 says no tags....]
>
> They get written ("hexdump -C filename|less") as ID3v2 via libid3tag, but
> it seems Audacity does something that is incompatible with other ID3
> implementations - thanks to a standard that is none yet [1]. One can find
> a couple of earlier topics (e.g. in the Audacity Forum). Taglib can read
> them as tested with Audacious. id3info/id3v2 probably reject all tags
> after running into something they cannot parse. The Audacity source code
> contains a couple of hacks for compatibility with iTunes and "some apps",
> which cause side-effects with other apps. ;-)
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3v2#Criticism

Thanks for the pointer.

Would be nice if rhythmbox could "see" audacity's tags....  It
currently doesn't :-(

tom

[I'm having no problems with audacity-1.3.7-0.2.beta.fc11.x86_64, so
I'll continue to use it.  I'll report any issues I find.]
--
Tom London