clock riddle

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Feb 23 22:25:49 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 05:10:41PM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> Why don't you simply state what you're talking about instead of asking
> riddles?

I stated:  "Anybody with a desktop session can mess with a system
clock at will.  No root password or anything of that sort required".
I was curious if other people think that this is as serious as I know
it is.

> So this has something to do with Gnome.

Not really.  Rather with PolicyKit and broken defaults.

> The KDE
> clock applet doesn't allow you to change the time (just the timezone)

If that is a global change, and not how time is displayed on this
specific desktop, that this is bad enough.  Most timestamps in
system logs are in local time with no zone indication.  Besides not
much prevents you to login into a different type of a sessions and I
asked this: if you can modify clocks as you please then do you think
that this is insignificant, minor hiccup or really bad. I am still
interested in answers.

> Could it be contamination from the Ubuntu model?

That appears to be a contamination with "one-user-system" mindset.

> In that case it might make more sense to discuss it on the Fedora list
> and not here.

Not much really to discuss.  A bug was filed a while ago and it just
sits there.

   Michal