F11: X starts at wrong resolution

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Tue Feb 24 14:33:08 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 18:32 -0500, sean darcy wrote:
> Just installed i386 F11 from alpha .iso on hp laptop, then did yum upgrade.
>
> Each time X starts at 800x600. xrandr shows the preferred resolution as
> 1280x800.
>
> I use xrandr to change to preferred, but how can I set X to start at
> 1280 x 800? does this require a modeline after all these years?

I'm not a mind reader, so I don't know what your X log contains or what
xrandr reports.  But I suspect it's detecting a TV connected that isn't
really there.  And since the default placement policy is clone (because
we suck), we'll try to set things up so all outputs have the same mode.

If you want to disable an output at configure time, see the dualhead
setup instructions here:

http://intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html

Particularly the bit about Option "Ignore".

If you'd set the resolution with gnome-display-properties this would get
remembered for you when you log in.  gdm would still be wrong though.

- ajax