trying to get a WUXGA virtual desktop and WUXGA external video?

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Tue Feb 24 14:41:54 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 08:31 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> i asked about this a while back on the standard fedora list but
> since i want to try this on f11 alpha, i figured this is a better
> forum.
>
>   given a (as-yet unidentified laptop) that has less than a full WUXGA
> (1920x1200) display, i'd like to figure out how (or whether it's even
> possible) to
>
>   1) get a WUXGA resolution virtual desktop, and
>   2) be able to generate full WUXGA resolution of that virtual desktop
>      on the external video port (be it DVI or HDMI, or possibly even
>      display port)
>
>   before i go any further, is this even *theoretically* possible?  i'm
> assuming that the onboard video card will be the limiting factor -- if
> the card can't handle WUXGA, then there's no way this is going to
> work.
>
>   does this question make any sense from a technical point of view?

Yes, it's just trivial.

Pretty much any laptop made in the last five years can handle virtual
size up to 2048 wide.  Many can go even further.  Anything with DVI or
HDMI can drive 1920x1200 [1].  If the 19x12 display is connected at
server startup, we'll even size the virtual big enough for you.  If it's
not it might take a little coercing.

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    # ...
    Virtual 1920 1200
EndSection

Will force the virtual size to 1920x1200.  Prior to xserver 1.6, RANDR
1.2-style drivers would not give you the traditional panning view within
that virtual size; as of xserver 1.6 that's possible but requires that
it's been wired up in the driver.

[1] - Assuming sufficient memory bandwidth, but you almost certainly
have enough.

- ajax