Circular dependency Rawhide glibc and glibc-common

Michel Salim michel.sylvan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 23:53:46 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Per Bothner <per at bothner.com> wrote:
> Will Woods wrote:
>>
>> Here's the error from my (32-bit) system, which has *only* i386
>> glibc{,-devel,-common,-headers} installed:
>>
>> Error: Missing Dependency: glibc-common = 2.9.90-3 is needed by package
>> glibc-2.9.90-3.i386 (installed)
>>
>> It looks like yum isn't considering glibc-common-2.9.90-7.i586 as a
>> potential provider of glibc-common for the upgrade transaction.. or
>> something? Depsolving makes my head hurt. Full log is attached.
>
> So what is the recommended fix for this?  Manually install
> the two rpms with rpm --nodeps?

There ought to be a way to upgrade using Yum. For x86_64 users it's
bad enough -- worse come to worst you can still wipe the 32-bit stack
and start again -- but the same problem is present on a 32-bit
install.

glibc-2.9.20-2.i386 from installed has depsolving problems
  --> Missing dependency: glibc-common = 2.9.90-2 ...

Regards,

--
miʃel salim  •  http://hircus.jaiku.com/
IUCS         •  msalim at cs.indiana.edu