network service is not working :(

Christopher Beland beland at alum.mit.edu
Thu Feb 26 21:14:45 UTC 2009

There are several different approaches you can take to diagnosing this.

* Check /var/log/* to see if there are any relevant messages
* Figure out when, exactly, this stopped working, and whether reverting
to a previous version of some package fixes the problem
* Verifying that the configuration file for eth0 is valid and compatible
with the latest version of the network service (which is where I would
look for differences between eth0 and eth1, if they are at all similar)

Am I wrong in remembering that NetworkManager is in the long run
replacing the network service?

-B.