missing dependency python(abi) = 2.5 for package: ...

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 00:00:09 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Greg <spowd at bigpond.com> wrote:
> On 3/01/2009 10:13 AM, Fulko Hew wrote:

>>> why did you enable rawhide? this isnt a support channel. use the irc
>>> channel
>>> or fedoraforum
>>>

>> Sorry.  I thought fedora-test was for testing rawhide?  ;-(
>>

> it is but your not giving much details of what you are actually testing?. by
> the looks of it you have fc10 rpms

I thought I'd be testing F11 (as updated from F10 via rawhide.

> from what i understand you were using fedora10 an installed Fedora11 from
> enabling rawhide. correct method for testing Fedora11 is downloading the
> boot.iso an installing fc11

Oh!  I was led to believe from

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/Rawhide#To_update_to_rawhide_via_yum

that I could move to Rawhide from F10

> that way an testing it alongside fc10. you say
> your getting a lot of deps but what exactly did you install from rawhide
> repo?

Technically, I didn't install anything from rawhide, I simply enabled the
rawhide repo as per the URL above, and did 'yum update'.

> if you can figure that one out im sure you'll fix it

The trouble is that it is complaining about
"Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.5"
for a vast number of packages.  Yum updated the system
to python 2.5.2 but that doesn't help me to understand what
package??? "python(abi)" is?
At first I thought it was an unusually named package, then I thought
It was a version of python, but downgrading python didn't help either.

It seems as thought the rawhide packages need python 2.5
and I now have python 2.5.2 installed???

So I'm at a loss to understand exactly what's missing/wrong.

(My ultimate goal was to find out if KDE 4.2 was packaged for testing
yet, and if so, did it now contain fixes for the missing functionality,
that KDE 3.5 has, that I need/want in 4.x.)