missing dependency python(abi) = 2.5 for package: ...

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Jan 3 07:25:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 17:54:24 -0500,
  Fulko Hew <fulko.hew at gmail.com> wrote:
> I decided to enable rawhide on my test F10 system, and do a
> yum update.
>
> I get a lot of dependency failures like:
>
> setroubleshoot-2.0.12-3.fc10.noarch from installed has depsolving problems
>   --> Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.5 is needed by package
> setroubleshoot-2.0.12-3.fc10.noarch (installed)
>
> Any suggestions?

I did a yum upgrade to F11 a couple of days ago and there are issues with
some packages not being updatable in a way that prevents skip broken from
being able to fix things. (This is probably a bigger problem than normal
due to all of the python dependencies.)

I was able to get it to work by removing a few things temporarily. If you
don't do this kind of thing a lot you might not want to go down this route.
Also at this stage there can be a lot of bumps and going back isn't practical.

You might be better off doing installs to unused partitions that you can
just scrap if you don't like things.