New kernel doesn't complete booting

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 22:06:39 UTC 2009

John Summerfield wrote:

> Jim wrote:
>
> One technique requires two computers connected with a crossover (ie not
> a modem) serial cable, a program such as minicim and special boot
> options. Refer to the kernel docs for details.

You may find my notes (below) on trying to capture more information when the
system crashes at an early stage useful:

If it is necessary to capture kernel messages from a crash when nothing gets
logged to /var/log/messages when rsyslog fails to get lines into the log,
then
To capture printk kernel messages from one machine to another on the same
network:

1) Machine to be debugged is Amilo which is connected via ether wired at
10.0.0.50

2) Machine to do the capture is Dell laptop at 10.0.0.59 (wireless)
with MAC 00:13:CE:54:AB:27

3) On capturing machine (Dell) open a console and switch off firewall, then
do
nc -l -u 6666
This means the Dell is listening on port 6666

4) On machine to be debugged boot up and once setup as normal, then do
ctrl-alt-f3i (say) and login as root.

5) Do the following:
netconsole netconsole=4444 at 10.0.0.50/eth0,6666 at 10.0.0.59/00:13:CE:54:AB:27

echo 8 > /proc/sys/kernel/printk
resizecons -lines 50

Now make the system crash and any kernel messages are printed on the
alternate console, and copied to the Dell - and from there the lines can
be copied into a file.

It may be possible to use "tee" to put another copy directly into a file.
Further info at
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt
and
man nc (in F8)

Also it may be possible to boot with netconsole running via a kernel line
edit - and then capture crashes earlier in the boot process.

mdc/080409