RCs for Everyone (was One (more) week slip of Fedora 11 Release)

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Mon Jun 1 18:02:23 UTC 2009

Following up to myself, because I re-read my responses...

I'm sorry to come off as "Mr. Negative" about this; that's not my
intent.  The more people testing, the better the end result will be.  I
just think that right now, the best way for end users to test is to
rsync rawhide and either do network installs (if you have more than one
computer this is very easy to set up) or build images yourself.  I
haven't built install ISOs myself in a while, so I don't know how hard
that is, but building Live images (once you have a tree) is almost
trivial (edit one line in one file to point to your local repo and run
one command).

During the time leading up to a release, rawhide has little churn, so
rsyncing it does not use much bandwidth.

The biggest problem with rsyncing rawhide is that it is the equivalent
of the "Everything" directory in a release, not just the "Fedora" bits
that land on a DVD, so you have a big hit the first time downloading a
bunch of stuff that wasn't on a DVD.

Jesse (if you are still reading): what would it take to have
"Everything" and "Fedora" directories in rawhide?  Would it make sense
to do that to make it easier for the "casual rsyncer" that would start
with a DVD ISO (e.g. 11-Preview) to build a tree for testing?

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>