RCs for Everyone (was One (more) week slip of Fedora 11 Release)

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Jun 2 20:51:11 UTC 2009

Robert 'Bob' Jensen wrote:
> ----- "Bill Davidsen" <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
>> Everyone seeds for people, the server should not be seeding more than
>> 1-2
>> clients, who then seed other, and others, leaving the server to do
>> only bookkeeping.
>>

> As long as people will "re-seed" in a example case distributing Fedora Unity's Re-Spins showed this did not happen enough.
>
>> I get the impression that jigdo is out of favor for some reason, but
>> it does
>> what I had in mind, allow the end user to create an install media as
>> often as
>> needed, and just upgrade the jigdo file and go. If the jigdo control
>> file
>> created a dated ISO image, it could be updated very regularly. And if
>> editing
>> the jigdo file were easier people could add their own list of
>> non-default
>> packages if they were creating a 8.5GB image.
>>
>> It appears to be as easy as updating the jigdo file, which may be done
>> already
>> if you do internal daily (or frequent) install media creation for
>> testing.
>>
>> There, that didn't take a wiki page, all it needs is a comment on the
>> state of
>> the tools needed.
>>

> Jigdo is out of favor for many reasons. NIH, was written in the debian camp with competent debian users as the target consumer from what I can tell. Former debian users now in the Fedora community saying "debian users do not even use jigdo any more" because we all know that debian is the baseline that determines if something is useful or not. Upsteam that is not interested in improving or adding functionality.  The GUI does not work, you have to use jigdo-lite, oh no the horrors of the command line. The list really goes on and on, The Fedora Unity team has been working on a python rewrite of jigdo, pyjigdo, for a while off and on. Jigdo has been working very well when distributing the Fedora Unity Re-Spins.

The next time I'm ready to test install I'll try one of your respins, if the
official sites don't care to do jigdo. I have to relearn how to point to the
RPMs I have already downloaded, they're not on a nice ISO or anything, just in a
mirror of /var/cache/yum with "keep" enabled.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>