no display after pre-upgrade from F10 to Rawhide

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Jun 8 18:24:02 UTC 2009

On 06/08/2009 01:30 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Fedora intentionally doesn't have one, as it duplicates work done by
> X.org (device / driver detection is done in the X server).

So, how do we get this info to anaconda, such that we can avoid breaking
users' setups?  In my case, the X driver for radeon could have
conceivably told anaconda that it was not going to help, but then
anaconda would have had to know to go to ask the other radeon driver.  I
suppose per-manufacturer there aren't that many to try.

Then there needs to be a way to iterate this process for sound cards,
NIC's, storage, etc.  e.g. a while back a SCSI controller I used moved
from megaraid to megaraid-legacy or something along those lines.  I
realize most of these device ID's are available in .h files, but AFAIK,
there's not yet a uniform way to query/compile/extract them.  It might
be possible to define a set of transforms for each category, and only
compile an install-time database at build time.

Then there's the further problem of which driver options are stable per
hardware device.  e.g. in X, acceleration types, opengl settings, etc.
But maybe the right thing is to just build in the correct defaults into
the driver.  But then determining which defaults are correct across the
myriad devices developers don't have is another problem, but one
something like smolt could also address.

-Bill

http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Cell: 603.252.2606
Twitter, etc.: bill_mcgonigle   Page: 603.442.1833
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/