no display after pre-upgrade from F10 to Rawhide

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Jun 8 20:05:07 UTC 2009

On 06/08/2009 03:18 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> I haven't actually looked at what it does for ATI cards, but likely it
> does much the same: the entire ATI manufacturer ID is mapped to
> 'radeon'. If you knew of cards that simply didn't work with the driver,
> they could be mapped to 'vesa' as exceptions.

My original problem was that under Fedora 10, the 'radeon' driver worked
on my hardware, but under Fedora 11, I need 'radeonhd' ('radeon' still
exists under F11).

> anaconda doesn't have to do anything. Anaconda uses a perfectly standard
> X, so it gets the same autodetected driver as an installed system would.

Yet through preupgrade this doesn't seem to work.  I don't know when or
if preupgrade does autodetection - maybe it happens under preupgrade on
the old X drivers, which isn't necessarily accurate under the new X drivers?

> the device->module mappings are now carried in the modules
> themselves; the modules specify which devices they support, and the
> module gets loaded on that hardware automatically just using that
> system. No distro-level infrastructure is needed.

But don't we need to know some of these things about the new target to
build the proper initrd, and modprobe.cond.d for upgrades when the
driver is changing for given hardware (especially for the root device)?

-Bill

http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Cell: 603.252.2606
Twitter, etc.: bill_mcgonigle   Page: 603.442.1833
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/