F11 to Rawhide...

James M. Leddy jleddy at redhat.com
Wed Jun 17 23:16:47 UTC 2009

On 06/17/2009 03:38 PM, Rob Healey wrote:
> Greetings Everyone:
>
> I have tried this several times, and I get the same reaction each time.  I
> have a fully updated F11 installation to start with...
>
> I enabled fedora-rawhide.repo, and tell yum to update.  There is no problems
> until I reboot my machine...  I get a kernel failure notice in the bottom
> right of the screen, then my computer completely locks up.  I have to hard
> crash it by holding in the power button.  Re-start the computer and same
> thing happens again...
>
> Has anyone else gone through this or am I the odd duck in the pond?  I was
> hoping that there would be a newer kernel out there than 2.6.30-6, but there
> is not!  So it leads me to think that it is something wrong with my
> computer!!!
>
> Help me, please...

First of all, it's likely that you can use your old f11 .29 kernel
just fine.  Please see if it is an option in your boot menu and select
that if you would like to be done with the problem.

Once you get it to boot up, you might try the kernel rpm here:

That build only has 16 patches apart from vanilla, so if it's still a
problem it may be a problem with .30 in general.  In any case, you
can file a bug against the newest issue in bugzilla.

It probably isn't a problem with your computer.

--
James M. Leddy

Technical Account Manager
Red Hat Inc.