crypto_LUKS mounts fail (rawhide)

Tom London selinux at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 01:20:20 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Tom London<selinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Tom London<selinux at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You've always had to unlock the LUKS partition before you can mount it.
>>> This is not a Fedora feature. Maybe you used nautilus to mount the usb
>>> stick? That would have prompted you for a password (which does the
>>> unlocking for you).
>>>

>> The passphrase/key to unlock has been stored in my keyring for quite a
>> while, so the unlocking/mounting has proceeded automatically.
>>
>> Something has changed this behavior in the last several weeks.....
>>
> And prior to that, gnome-mount (?) would present a popup for my key
> when the drive was plugged in.

OK, now that I'm back home, I can test some more.

It appears that the "automagic" disk/partition mounting
(DeviceKit-disks ?, gnome-disk-utility?  gnome-mount? other?) is
properly running "cryptsetup" on the partition, since I see a newly
created /dev/dm-2:

[tbl at tlondon ~]$ ls -l /dev/dm*
brw-rw----. 1 root disk 253, 0 2009-06-19 17:54 /dev/dm-0
brw-rw----. 1 root disk 253, 1 2009-06-19 17:54 /dev/dm-1
brw-rw----. 1 root disk 253, 2 2009-06-19 17:57 /dev/dm-2
[tbl at tlondon ~]$

[dm-0 is / and dm-1 is swap, I believe]

I can mount /dev/dm-2:

[root at tlondon ~]#
[root at tlondon ~]# mount /dev/dm-2 /mnt
[root at tlondon ~]#
[root at tlondon ~]# mount
/dev/mapper/vg_tlondon-lv_root on / type ext4 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
/dev/sda2 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,rootcontext="system_u:object_r:tmpfs_t:s0")
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/tbl/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
(rw,nosuid,nodev,user=tbl)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/E0FD-1813 type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit,uid=500,gid=500,shortname=lower,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush)
/dev/dm-2 on /mnt type ext4 (rw)
[root at tlondon ~]#

So, the crypto is properly working as is gnome-keyring.

But the subsequent "mount" on /media/Backup (Backup is the partition's
label) fails.

If I run palimpsest before I manually mount, I see no options to mount.

I will reassign the BZ to gnome-disk-utility (I'm guessing here, since
only it and DeviceKit-disks have been updated recently) and hope for
the best.

tom
--
Tom London