2009-06-24 - Fedora QA meeting Recap

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jun 25 17:48:02 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-25 at 17:37 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> I think asking for some competence/responsibility from packagers is not
> to much! After all is exposing this to thousand, hundreds of thousand
> millions of users and he needs to be competent enough to handle the
> reports that flow in bugzilla against the component he introduced.

There's a difference between competence and knowledge. If someone were
to report a bug in the package I discussed a bit ago, from the report
I'd probably know what to ask to figure out what was going wrong, and
then - if it were likely to apply to future reports - I'd add that
information to the 'what information to ask for on bug reports for this
issue' page. So I'd consider myself competent enough to generate the
knowledge in the appropriate circumstance. But it's harder to work
entirely on theory - 'Imagine something's gone wrong. Now, what's the
first question you'd ask?'...that's a bit harder. Usually, the
information you get from someone when something actually goes wrong is
important in figuring out what question you're going to ask to figure
out how to fix it, and it's easier to identify patterns in what
information you need in _retrospect_ rather than in advance. For me,
anyway. It may be that this is different for others.