gnome locking up after user login since the mass rebuild

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Mar 6 18:15:34 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 09:43:53 -0800,
  Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 11:25 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > I haven't seen a report that I recognized as my problem and was hoping an
> > update would fix it, but it has been about a week now.
> > After logging into know and having the too bar show up, it locks up.
> > I can't switch windows, c-a-F? doesn't drop down to a terminal, and
> > clicking on the icons results in a slight color change on the border of
> > the window the first time and then nothing changes after that.
>
> Can't really provide anything useful, just to confirm that this isn't
> happening here.
>
> Have you tested with a new user account?

No. Is there some reason that might work?
(Endlessly rebooting is getting to be a pain in the rear here.)

I have tried turning on and off modeset, though things get far enough
that I don't think that it is likely to be a driver issue.

I use metacity because the desktop switcher doesn't work properly
in compiz or whatever came later. (Only one row allowed, which doesn't
work well for me.) So maybe that's what's different between me and other
people.

That line of thinking suggests that perhaps creating a new user is
a useful test.