what package will give me /lib/ld-linux.so.2 on x86_64?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat May 23 19:16:02 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> The original issue is that I have packages which are available in binary
>> form which use the 32 bit ".i585" libraries.
>
> You didn't get my point. glibc.i586 and glibc.i686 contain the SAME
> libraries, just differently optimized. All the packages in Fedora get built
> against one or the other and actually run on both. The same should be true
> for any third-party binaries. I don't see how which one you pick would make
> any difference.
>
>> And since several are (a) huge, (b) updated frequently, and (c) not known
>> to be 64 bit functional
>
> That doesn't mean they need glibc.i586 rather than glibc.i686.
>
> The right glibc multilib for x86_64 systems is i686, not i586.

In spite of all the theory on Earth, packages did not work with i686, removed
i686 installed i586, packages work. All packages but one, when I tried
installing the 32 bit parts of X and gtk I got conflicts. At that point I just
gave up and went 32 bit, the object is to use the system, not chase bugs. I get
no benefit from 64 bit, and it was fun trying, getting the 32 bit binaries
working takes more (unpaid) time than I have.

I appreciate the comments on 586 vs. 686 I just can't collaborate with
experimental data.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>