Where's Konqueror in SU

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Nov 2 15:50:07 UTC 2009

Karel Voln wrote:

> $ konqueror localhost:631
> <supply root password to konqueror when asked for>
>
> ?
>
> in the first case, if the attacker gets in control of Konqueror,
> he can do rm -rf / directly; in the latter, he can capture root
> password ... which may (or may not) be more valuable

I don't think much of your example, but in practice if some cracker
tries to "rm -rf /" there's not a lot to choose, on my systems, between
doing it as root and doing it is me. My valuables are  mostly in ~ and
the operating system is way easier to replace than the stuff in ~.

More likely, Ungodly will be looking for my banking details, and i I
allow a browser to store unencrypted account details, being root doesn't
make my situation worsse

However, I think the biggest hazards is through trojans, and if I can
persuade you that you really should give my custom version of Firefox a
burl, I've got you. along with Firefox I could install keyloggers to
record what you type, I I can correlate what you type with where you go,,,,

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait