W: Possible missing firmware ???.fw.bin?? for module ??????.ko

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 5 01:45:47 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 11/4/09, Rick Stevens <ricks at nerd.com> wrote:

> From: Rick Stevens <ricks at nerd.com>
> Subject: Re: W: Possible missing firmware ???.fw.bin?? for module ??????.ko
> To: "For testers of Fedora Core development releases" <fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Wednesday, November 4, 2009, 3:30 PM
> Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > Dear fellow testers,
> >
> > Has anyone noticed something like the Subject line?
> >
> >   Installing     :
> kernel-2.6.31.5-115.fc12.x86_64
>
> 10/87
> > W: Possible missing firmware aic94xx-seq.fw for module
> aic94xx.ko
> > W: Possible missing firmware ql8100_fw.bin for module
> qla2xxx.ko
> > W: Possible missing firmware ql2400_fw.bin for module
> qla2xxx.ko
> > W: Possible missing firmware ql2322_fw.bin for module
> qla2xxx.ko
> > W: Possible missing firmware ql2300_fw.bin for module
> qla2xxx.ko
> > W: Possible missing firmware ql2200_fw.bin for module
> qla2xxx.ko
> > W: Possible missing firmware ql2100_fw.bin for module
> qla2xxx.ko
> >

> > Does it mean that if we have the above firmware on our
> machines, that the kernel modules are not there because of
> error?
>
> The firmware files are expected to be installed in
> /lib/firmware by the
> modules.  Note that that's "/lib/firmware" regardless
> of 32- or 64-bit
> systems.
>
> The QLogic firmware files (the qla2xxx driver is for QLogic
> fiberchannel
> HBAs) are installed by making sure you install the
> appropriate RPMs:
>
>     [root at prophead ~]# rpm -qf
> /lib/firmware/ql2300_fw.bin
>     ql23xx-firmware-3.03.27-1.fc10.noarch

[olivares at n6355-19134 ~]$ uname -r
2.6.31.5-115.fc12.x86_64
[olivares at n6355-19134 ~]$ rpm -qf /lib/firmware/ql2300_fw.bin
error: file /lib/firmware/ql2300_fw.bin: No such file or directory

> So "yum install ql*-firmware*" should get you all of
> them.  You're
> running a lot of fiberchannel stuff?

I actually don't know how all of this works.  I just installed rawhide x86_64 on a spare machine at work^{1} and this is what I see. Do I really need to install all of that firmware?

> Wow!  I do,
> but only on big,
> honking (hundreds of TB) storage farms using EMC arrays.
>
> As for the Adaptec file (aic94xx), I don't know.  I'm
> sure there's an RPM for that as well.  I haven't run an
> Adaptec card that needed
> firmware in a long time.

As always, thanks for your input!  :)  You give excellent advice and I always look forward to reading your posts.

Regards,

Antonio

> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer
>               ricks at nerd.com -
> - AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ:
> 22643734            Yahoo:
> origrps2 -
> -

{1} - work as a high school Math Teacher in Rio Grande City, Texas
and enjoy testing rawhide on several of my personal machines there