some odd package group selections in f12 beta

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh.goorah at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 07:25:54 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> [...snip...]
>> > * how did minicom end in "Electronic Lab"?
>>
>> I see minicom in both "Electronic Lab" and "Dial-up networking".
>>
>> Perhaps a good question for Chitlesh (see
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ElectronicLab_Spin) on why it's listed
>> under electronic lab.
>
> Serial line testing?

hello there,

Indeed minicom is widely used for electronics testing and programming.
Some users/startups in France are using minicom (coupled with Piklab
for PIC programming) to interface with their wireless home automation
devices from a master module.

I, on the other hand, I'm using minicom for testing chips freshly
manufactured before shipping them to the clients. This can be easily
carried out by an automated test framework having inputs from perl
scripts for verilog (perl modules, we have added to Fedora
repositories :) ) and outputs VCD files for GTKWave coupled with TCL
scripts.

Cheers,
Chitlesh