"yum update gcc" runs into libmudflap-devel

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Nov 10 17:30:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> >  just about to shut down here at the airport, so here's the latest
> > incident with my f12 beta system:
>
> Robert,
>  I'm now tired of this.
>
> Stop truncating the reports. If you want to report a bug, report it
> as a bug. If you don't want to report a bug then fine, I'm going to
> ignore all your emails.
>
> but removing all the relevant data makes it impossible to debug.

  oh, take a pill, seth.  just because a question involves yum doesn't
force upon you an obligation to resolve it.  technically, it wasn't
even a yum question -- it was a gcc/libmudflap-devel dependency
question in the context of upgrading.

  and the reason i keep initial questions like that short is because,
sometimes, it's not even clear that it *is* a bug.  if i reproduce
enough of the salient details, it's quite possible that someone else
more familiar with those packages might say, "yes, that's normal, it
will go away with f12 gold" or "yes, we've seen that and we're pushing
a fix upstream" or even "hmmmm ... that doesn't look right, could you
BZ that with all of the relevant info?", at which point that's exactly
what i'd do.

  but reproducing as little as, say:

Running rpm_check_debug
ERROR with rpm_check_debug vs depsolve:
gcc = 4.4.1-2.fc11 is needed by (installed) libmudflap-devel-4.4.1-2.fc11.x86_64

would seem to be enough for someone familiar with the dev packages to
wonder, "hmmm ... maybe i better check the dependencies between those
two things."

  in any event, if someone wants a BZ on this, i'm more than happy to
do that.

  by the way, running instead:

  # yum update libmudflap-devel

worked fine.  but not: