"yum update gcc" runs into libmudflap-devel

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Nov 10 18:07:41 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 18:55 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> > > Conspiracy theories are not helpful. There have been similarily "weird"
> > > packages in the Fedora package collection before, too.
> >
> > um. It's hardly a conspiracy theory, it's a common cause of this kind of
> > problem.
>
> "Common"? Where do those packages come from? I think your point of view is
> biased and inappropriate. Over the past months, dependency issues caused
> by third party packages have not been anything like a hot or regular
> topic. Much more common have been duplicates, interrupted transactions,
> upgrade path issues, multi-arch install/repo configuration bugs, and
> real packaging mistakes in the Fedora package collection.
>
> > I did consider mentioning that it can happen with repository
> > packages too, but didn't bother for brevity.
>
> So, you are interested in theories instead of this actual issue? More
> interesting is to find out what has happened in the scenario Robert has
> pointed out. He's been a long-time subscriber and Fedora user. Actual
> trouble-shooting would be more interesting than bashing third parties who
> are irrelevant unless you can show that they are the culprit. Or are you
> aware of third-party GCC packages for F-12 that cause such a problem?

I'm sorry, what? Did you wake up on the cranky side of the bed today?
All I did was mention another possible cause of the problem and suddenly
you're going off on page-long rants about how I'm biased and spouting
conspiracy theories? Did I turn two pages at once and miss a big
important plot section somewhere around here?

*confused*