Can't restart x on card O

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Nov 10 22:22:16 UTC 2009

Lawrence E Graves wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 11:46 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 12:28 -0700, Lawrence E Graves wrote:
>>
>>> I just got thru installing again and this is the log before any drivers
>>> are added.  Let me know what you think.
>> There's no errors in it. I'm still not clear exactly which X session
>> this log is from. Is this from after a failed attempt to start X on an
>> installed system?
>>
>> --
>> Adam Williamson
>> Fedora QA Community Monkey
>> IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT org
>> http://www.happyassassin.net
>>
> I had to leave for a minute.  Sorry about the wait for answer.
>
> If I install drivers (akmod or kmod) this is when the problem of
> restarting my computer comes in.  As long as I leave the drivers alone,
> it runs perfectly.  Just trying to understand why I can't use these
> drivers.  I am using a Evga 9500 Video Card.  It will let me install
> them and then tell me I need to restartx in order to use them.  Once I
> install and reboot that is when I am unable to get back in Fedora 12
> without reinstalling it.  Does that make sense or am I losing it after
> 10 trys.

That is precisely what we're trying to debug...what happens when you
install those drivers.  So, install them, and when it craps out, hold
down ALT, press the F2 key, log in as root and post the
"/var/log/Xorg.0.log" file from the failed X startup.
-    I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it!      -