Does firefox upgrades need some pre/post install love to close and restart firefox during upgrades

David dgboles at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 15:23:09 UTC 2009

On 11/15/2009 10:00 AM, Maximi89 wrote:

> 2009/11/15 Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl <mailto:jos at xos.nl>>
>
>     On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 09:23:56PM +1100, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
>
>     > Is it possible to put in a little pre/post install love that asks to
>     > shut firefox (saving the session) and then restarts it after the
>     upgrade
>     > is complete?
>
>     Yum/rpm package actions do not have (and should not have) any user
>     interaction.  Synchronisation (i.e. wait for user response) is
>     therefore impossible by design.
>
>     And what if many firefox instances (for more users) are running?
>
>     The only thing that could be done is sending some signal to all
>     firefox instances (and even that is tricky, but that won't help
>     much.
>
> Hi, but what happens with the people who have a low internet connection
> like me?
> there exist a possibility to don't restart firefox?

I understand your particular situation.

But, sorry, I find it absolutely amazing that anyone, anyone that uses a
computer of any kind, running an OS of any kind, would not think that 'I
just did an update and *one* of, or several of, my open applications (as
in running) were updated. Things *must* have changed in them so I should
close and reopen them to avoid problems'.

And that *really* applies to someone using a rolling update such as Rawhide.
--

  David