Does firefox upgrades need some pre/post install love to close and restart firefox during upgrades

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 21:18:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 1:31 AM, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
> On 11/15/2009 02:24 PM, Adam Pribyl wrote:
>> Because this will trigger the firefox saving mechanism and would not
>> cause a data loss.
>
> Session Restore does work well for me, but it does not derive data
> exclusively from the DOM cache - it will reload some data from sites,
> losing state in some cases, causing side effects in others.  It would be
> lovely if it were all cached and deterministic, but we can't know what
> kind of bad things will happen if we automatically restart.
>
> Ubuntu's solution looks right for now.

https://launchpad.net/ubufox is for very old versions

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1249  is still not up to the mark

karmic in particular uses a separate package for firefox support.

Notifications are done with http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/firefox-notify

Session-restore is usually ok, but automatic restart is not being user-friendly

Best

A. Mani

--
A. Mani