Does firefox upgrades need some pre/post install love to close and restart firefox during upgrades

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Mon Nov 16 21:41:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 15:31 -0500, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On 11/15/2009 02:24 PM, Adam Pribyl wrote:
> > Because this will trigger the firefox saving mechanism and would not
> > cause a data loss.
>
> Session Restore does work well for me, but it does not derive data
> exclusively from the DOM cache - it will reload some data from sites,
> losing state in some cases, causing side effects in others.  It would be
> lovely if it were all cached and deterministic, but we can't know what
> kind of bad things will happen if we automatically restart.
>
> Ubuntu's solution looks right for now.

The only issue I can see with the Ubuntu solution is that by the time
firefox is updated, it's often too late.

In the most recent case, firefox started to respond weirdly, won't close
using the close button and then after a killall it hadn't saved session
data so I got a new session with my home page and the upgrade page (I
had about 20 pages open).

IMO firefox needs to be closed before the update happens, not after the
damage is done with the update.

R.