f11 to f12 with preugrade doesn't find root device

He Rui rhe at redhat.com
Fri Nov 20 04:58:44 UTC 2009

On 11/19/2009 05:50 PM, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:56:18 +0800 He Rui wrote:
>
>> Hi Gianluca, I experienced the same as you when I preupgraded to rawhide
>> with anaconda 13.8. But I just retested it, the preupgrade upgraded the old
>> system to f12 with anaconda 12.46. Then I didn't encounter this again.
>> Can you confirm your anaconda version when reboot after preupgrade?
>>
> How to check?
> Now I'm on F12, finally upgraded and running....
> My steps were, resuming them, starting yesterday:
> - yum update on my F11
> - yum install preupgrade
> - run preupgrade GUI, select F12 and complete this phase and reboot
> - upgrade starts but stops because my redhat-release was "funcky". I
> change it and reboot again in upgrade mode
> - upgrade starts and proceeds until it finds an incomplete rpm and
> offers only to abort
>           --->  here I would like pre-verification during the preupgrade phase,
>                 or to be offered a chance to retry, so that I can put
> the right package
> - In my case the problem was with libgcj-4.4.2-7.fc12.x86_64.rpm.
> it was downloaded as 17.5 MB instead of the correct 18.5Mb.....
> While in upgrade with the error I changed to console 2, I downloaded
> the package from another machine, put it to an usb key and connect it
> to my server, then I chroot and manually ran rpm -Uvh of it and
> finally reboot again in upgrade mode
> - server boots in upgrade again and flawlessly continues from where it
> stopped (as I see fewer packages showed to be upgraded). To have
> upgrade run I need to change again redhat-release to F11 version text
> (it was already updated and contained F12... so that upgrade complains
> of this if I don't reverse it...
>      ---->  probably better a sort of lock file instead of testing
> contents of a file....
> - upgrade completes (about 2.5 hours spended in finishing phase... it
> seems it scans all the disk files... perhaps verification) and reboots
> - my newly upgrade f12 stops with the message
> dracut: /var/log/lvm2.log: fopen failed: No such file or directory
> and then inability to scan LVM devices and so in particular my root device.....
> - boot again F12 with option "rdinitdebug rdshell"
> Here I go with fantasy, also based in previous experience .-)
> I'm put into a shell where I can manually create the directory
> /var/log and at this point from this rescue shell I can scan and
> activate my LVM volumes. So now I can chroot in my F12 root LV and
> mount /boot under it and
>
>   1) gunzip-cpio initramfs into a temporary directory,
>    2) create /var/log under this initrd tree and repack into a new
> initrd filethat I put inside /boot
>    3) change grub to point to this new initrd
>    4) reboot
>
> - the system finally correctly reboots in F12 !!!!

Finally...congratulations.
> If you tell me where to search for anaconda version you referred (in
> /root/upgrade.log or other files eventually...)
> I will report
>
> Gianluca

It seems that you preupgraded your system to f12 (constantine), whose
anaconda is
12.46. You can see it by:

yum info anaconda

And your issue is different from mine. So if your problem depended on
preupgrade
package, you can try the latest version preupgrade-1.1.3-1.fc11
<http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=141177> . Please
file a bug
if it is clarified.

--