X server Resolution Catch-22 Fedora 12

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Nov 23 03:02:26 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 02:30:49PM -0800, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> I have been using a 1993 Viewsonic 21 monitor for
> the console on the omen.com server.  The old jug
> isn't as sharp as it once was, but it still can do 1024x768
> or better.
>
> Upon installing Fedora 12,

Well, this is a wrong list then.  Your problem is no longer about
rawhide.

> I discovered that there in
> no longer a reasonable way to set anything higher
> than 800x600 with Xvesa or the default driver for
> Nvidia.

What most likely happens is that an old monitor does not supply any
EDID data, or possibly faulty ones, and the current system relies on
that information.  If it is missing then some very conservative
assumptions are made and you see what you see.

Quite likely it is enough for you to provide a minimal
/etc/X11/xorg.conf which in "Monitor" section will have
  HorizSync  ....
  VertRefresh ....
with correct values for your Viewsonic.  That alone may bump a
display higher than you care and you may end up with miniscule
graphic elements and a nasty 60Hz refresh.  Did you try
   yum install system-config-display
At least with F11 this was still available, if not installed by
default, and it will do that job as it has an access to hardware
data for a long list of monitors.

   Michal