X server Resolution Catch-22 Fedora 12

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Nov 23 19:59:27 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 09:51:34AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-11-22 at 20:09 -0700, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 05:07:56PM -0600, Jim Haynes wrote:
> > > What I got was
> > > a pointer to a program that runs in Windows that will dump the mode
> > > line suitable for use with X.  It's a pay program with a free trial,
> >
> > Why on earth you would use something so weird when
> > 'system-config-display' and 'xvidtune' are doing an excellent job
> > (including dumping mode lines if you are so inclined)?
>
> or gtf, for modelines. Try 'gtf 1024 768 85'.

If we are already there then maybe you can explain? :-)

'man -k mode | grep VESA' prints

cvt []               (1)  - calculate VESA CVT mode lines
gtf []               (1)  - calculate VESA GTF mode lines

but what is a difference?  'man cvt' at least says "VESA Coordinated
Video Timing".  V.E.R.A. for a change brings "Generalized Timing
Format (VESA)" when asked for "gtf".  I am afraid that this still
does not tell me very much.  Results with the same paramaters are
slightly different.  'xvidtune' allows to "tune" an image to your
monitor before you will hit "Show".

   Michal