X Screensize Mystery

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Tue Nov 24 14:03:49 UTC 2009

I installed the system-config-display and duly set up
for a Viewsonic 21.  This CRT has a 1993 date on it
which likely predates VGA probing.

After setting the display size, root's gnome desktop
failed to appear.  So I got rid of the xorg.conf file,
and the desktop came back on the next startx
(or was it xinit?).

Strangely enough, the preferences-display now
has a 1024x768 option, which is the default now.

During this messing around yum update repeatedly
wedged on testing transaction.  An ls also wedged.
Both had to be killed with -9.

Another reboot and Linux felt much better.
Yum update and ls no longer wedge themselves.

Mysterious.

--
Chuck Forsberg    caf at omen.com   www.omen.com   503-614-0430
10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231   FAX 629-0665