Un-asked-for-language support

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Wed Nov 25 17:24:54 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 25 of November 2009 17:19:33 Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 11/25/2009 09:49 PM, Karel Volný wrote:
> > yes - still much less than 350 MB + size of the unused
> > localisation support for each package :-p
>
> Do your calculation on the metadata increase (the impact of
>  which is much more than disk space) and then post it.

let me note that it was you who started the argumentation about
too big metadata increase (I don't care, see below), so don't
leave your homework to me and show us the maths, if you want to
back up your original argument

>  You have to split every single package

simply not true, lot of packages don't seem to have localisation
(yet), for example busybox, gzip, libzip, nspluginwrapper ...

>  into dozens of sub
>  packages.

... and many of those that have some don't support dozens of
languages (yet), for example cpufrequtils (5 translations), qmmp
(14 translations, that's only one dozen and a bit)

>  After you have done this calculation,

see above

>  tell me again
>  whether your proposal makes any sense at all.

which one do you mean? - not to force users to install what they
don't want? - IMO yes, no matter of the maths (unless it won't
make it physically impossible, which is hardly the case)

there is rpmdiff and deltarpms ... couldn't be there also
deltametadata etc.?

but this begins to resemble too much of a flamewar, and also this
is not the right list to discuss further Fedora development

I guess we know each others opinion well enough by now, let's
stop it - feel free to answer, don't expect me to do so once
again

K.

--
Karel Volný