Standardize/ have consistency in the layout of How_to_Debug_<component> wiki pages.

Christopher Beland beland at alum.mit.edu
Wed Oct 7 22:28:53 UTC 2009

>Yes, I think Chris' general idea is correct, but Johann is correct that
> we don't current have sufficiently good centralized info on standard
> gdb / strace use. I think the best approach would be to add the
> necessary stuff to the StackTraces page and then link to that from each
> 'how to debug' page, as Chris suggests. Johann, do you think you could
> do a draft of this, or could you, Chris?

Well, I added a more user-friendly intro to StackTraces and expanded
tidied up the page a bit.  I hope it is now reasonably useful to novice
users, at least those patient enough to bother with this stuff.  Further
improvements might be necessary, but I await feedback if someone wants
to push on something in particular or if there is someone in the novice
demographic who can take a look at it.

"How to use gdb" is a very broad development topic, which is why I was
thinking of the man and info pages are comprehensive in that regard.  If
we only want to provide more convenient instructions for how to get
stack traces with gdb, that information is already on the StackTraces
page.  If we are looking for something in between, then I'm not sure
what the intended scope would be.

Since Adam mentioned it, I added a brief description of strace.  Since
it can't do stack traces (right?) I don't know what else there is to say
except point at the existing comprehensive documentation.

[[Features/ABRT]] says ABRT is targeted for Fedora 11, but looking at
the instructions at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2009-08-20_ABRT and noting that
abrt-desktop is not available in the standard repositories, I assume
ABRT is not ready for prime time novice users?  Is that still true for
Rawhide? Did we want to mention it on StackTraces as "coming soon"?  (If
so, what is the ETA, and will it obsolete bug-buddy?)

Are we going to rename Bug_info_<component> pages to
How_to_debug_<component> as part of this standardization?

-B.