broadcom wireless worked out of the box

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Oct 14 16:05:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 11:44 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   as a radical departure from my normal whinging about stuff that
> > *doesn't* work, i was thrilled to see that broadcom wireless worked
> > right away with no extra help from me.  i'm assuming that was
> > *supposed* to happen, yes?  so i don't need to go thru the normal
> > downloading of firmware, fwcutting and so on, correct?
>
> "If it works, don't fix it".

  oh, i'm not going to mess with what works.  all i'm saying is that
the online sites that explain how to get broadcom wireless going under
f10 and f11, like this:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#firmware_installation

appear to be superfluous, is that correct?

  actually, upon closer inspection, i can see the directory
/lib/firmware/b43, and rpm tells me it's part of the b43-openfwwf
package, so can i assume that's why it just plain works in f12?  i
don't recall that package from earlier releases.

rday