[Test-Announce] Fedora12 Beta RC2 install test

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Oct 15 15:32:18 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 08:50 -0400, Andre Robatino wrote:
> The live 12-Beta-RC2 images use shorter names like
> F12-Beta-i686-Live.iso instead of longer names like
> Fedora-12-Beta-i686-Live.iso as in the install images.  The live F11
> images use the longer names, the live F10 images use the shorter
> names,
> the live F9 images use the longer names.  Any reason for the
> switching?

Live image creation tools use the iso name as the isofs label, and that
label has a hard limit of 32 chars.  Some of our spin names have rather
long names, so I have to truncate something somewhere.  It gets
particularly bad when doing a snapshot or beta release as the term
"Beta" or "Snap#" gets added to the string.  Usually there is enough
string length for final releases to expand F12 to Fedora-12 simply
because the "Beta" or "Snap#" is no longer necessary.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!