Fedora 12 Beta now available!

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Oct 20 15:58:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 08:52 -0600, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> > Kernel mode setting (KMS) support, which was
> > introduced on AMD hardware in Fedora 10 and
> > extended to Intel hardware in Fedora 11
>
> KMS never worked and still does not work on F11 on
> Intel laptop 915GM i686 PAE.
>
> I reported the bug back in March (see now closed bug
> 488824), but it was simply ignored. KMS remains

Unfortunately we don't have the manpower to get to all X reports, and
rawhide reports tend to take priority.

Certainly you had a bug with your particular adapter, but all the
release notes are saying is that _in general_ KMS was implemented by
default for Intel adapters in F11.

> I closed the bug after I migrated my machines to the
> sensational F12α, where these features truly do work,
> giving the 'worksforme' reason (although it obviously
> does not work for me on F11!

In theory it would be better to leave the report open, in case the fix
can be backported to F11. In practice I think the extent of changes to
the intel driver and X server in F12 make it unlikely :/