theora screencasting not working in F12

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 21:54:31 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 3:42 PM, James Laska <jlaska at redhat.com> wrote:
[snip]
> We have the infrequently used reactive response should a feature fail to
> meet it's stated objectives.  However, is there something we can offer
> that's more proactive (as a compliment to test days)?

In this case the failure appears to be resulting from the composition
of packages: The screen casting tools using unreasonable settings
which happened to get ignored by older versions of libtheora.

The most important testing that Fedora can do is integration testing.
Libtheora was extensively tested upstream (including for compatibility
with several known popular tools), but I would never have thought of
testing these screencasting utilities.

Presumably upstream will generally handle testing their own packages,
I think that for libraries the distributions can add the most value by
looking for whatrequires it and making a point to test those things.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> xiph.org has its own community of developers and
> testers, and theora has testsuites, etc.

Indeed.   525155 has been open for over a month, even prior to the
official libtheora 1.0 release; the issue turned out to not be with
libtheora upstream, but as far as I can tell no notice was provided in
that direction. ... If legit bugs are taking this long to make it
upstream then that has to adversely impact the quality of Fedora.