Fedora Server distro?

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Wed Oct 28 12:35:21 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 02:23:46PM +0200, Markku Kolkka wrote:

> Rob Healey kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika keskiviikko, 28.
> lokakuuta 2009):
> >
> > Yes, but I never have played around with CentOS yet...  I saw
> > that you were able to create a server out of yours, but do you
> > know if there is a CentOS Server distro or would you be
> > willing to write up a howto on how you did it?
>
> Here's a howto:
> 1. Download install media from
> http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=15
> 2. Install on hardware suitable for use as a server.
> 3. Choose the server software packages you want either during
> installation, or afterwards using Add/Remove Software or yum.
> 4. Configure the services (see documentation at:
> http://www.centos.org/docs/5/ )

I think Markku covered it pretty well.  The only thing I might add is
that *I* like to just download the first CD, then, during installation
(which is quite similar to Fedora's) and uncheck everything, including
base system.  This will give you a minimal installation, suitable for
customizing.  Many folks don't want X on a server.

There is a forum (though not that active) and also a wiki, covering
several server aspects.

Also Rob, not sure what mailer you're using (maybe a cell phone?), but
it gets difficult to tell which text was yours and what was the text to
which you were responding, at least when using mutt.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: So. You saw their faces, but you can't describe
them.
Spike: Well, they were human. Two eyes each, kind of in the middle.