VMware Workstation on F12B...

David dgboles at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 16:02:45 UTC 2009

On 10/31/2009 11:46 AM, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 10:53 -0400, David wrote:
>> On 10/31/2009 10:06 AM, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
>>> For those of you following the story, there is a thread on the VMware
>>> Communities thread about VMware Workstation 7 and it's issues running on
>>> Fedora 12 Beta.
>>>
>>> You can find the entire sad story at:
>>>
>>> http://communities.vmware.com/thread/239371?tstart=15
>>>
>>> and (also referenced in the thread above)
>>>
>>> http://communities.vmware.com/thread/229891?tstart=0
>>>
>>> It's apparently an issue with glibc versions that is apparently at the
>>> core. Hopefully we'll see this get worked out by the respective Fedora
>>> and VMware teams by the time F12 releases. In the meantime, it looks
>>> like we will have to wait for the zealots on both sides to stop fussing
>>> and actually get to fixing the problem.
>>

>> My guess is that Fedora will not do anything since this is not their
>> problem.
>
> I would hope that they at least cooperate, even if it is technically not
> their problem.
>
>>From some inside discussions I have caught wind of, this attitude is
> partially why VMware doesn't support Fedora with more than
> "experimental" status, but provides full support for other competing
> (Debian based) distros.
>
> Thus my statement about stopping the fussing - on both sides - and
> starting to cooperate more.

Again. My guess? Fedora will work just as hard to solve this as they do
for Nvidia problems. ATI problems. And any other proprietary software
problems.

And that VMware treats Fedora as 'experimental' because Fedora is a
cutting edge distribution.

In other words? I would not hold my breath for this to happen.  :-)

May I suggest that you try Virtualbox? It works quite well with Fedora
and they support the Fedora releases. And there are rpms for
Rawhide/Fedora 12 also.
--

  David