mixing x86_64 and i686 packages???

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 06:31:18 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 2:19 AM, Rob Healey <robhealey1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings:
> This my first time having a 64bit system, so I am a newbie here as far as
> x86_64 goes, but not with Linux.  Fedora/ Redhat in particular!!!
> I have noticed that there are a lot of software out there for Fedora, but
> some of it is only i686!  Like Opera and Adobe Reader in particular...  They
> list a ton of i686 dependencies when trying to install them.  Is it ok to
> mix x86_64 and i686 on the same system???

Hi Rob.  The 32bit library packages are designed to be comfortably
installed side by side with their 64bit versions. You can just install
them.

...Although, you'll waste disk space and memory keeping separate 32bit
copies around; everything in 64bit fedora is 64bit it's only when you
run third party binary-only applications that this issues usually
arises anymore. Perhaps it's another reason why you should think twice
about needing those applications?  There is free software more most
purposes, such as web browsing and PDF reading, and much of it comes
pre-packaged and well integrated with Fedora.

In any case— if you need them, they'll work. Just install the required
libraries.

Cheers.