some late radeon test good news

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sat Sep 12 20:20:27 UTC 2009

Didn't have time to fool with system on the official ATI test day,
but I have just gotten some vastly improved results with the
latest rawhide updates on my system with the radeon 7200:

It actually boots without nomodeset and radeon.modeset=0
(previously some sort of kernel stack trace would happen and
the system would go all non-responsive).

And, once X starts, it is using the right screen resolution
(1920x1080) without an xorg.conf file.

I don't think it is doing any mode setting even without the
nomodeset boot parameter though, because everything is invisible
till X actually starts - the BIOS is apparently selecting
some funny mode to operate in which my samsung TV can't display
via the hdmi connection.

If I hook it to the VGA connection on the TV, it doesn't
work quite as well as vesa. It thinks it should use 1024x768,
but vesa successfully picked 1280x1024 as the default.
The screen mode it isin most of the time during boot
is something like 720x400 at 70HZ (very weird).

If I try to run something like "neverputt", I get a warning
that 3D is not supported, which isn't all that surprising, but
at least 2D seems to be working well for the first time
in a while on this ancient 7200.

kernel: kernel-2.6.31-2.fc12.x86_64
radeon driver: xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.13.0-0.4.20090908git651fe5a47.fc12.x86_64
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R100 QD [Radeon 7200]