Weird messages in F12 when using some programs: "used the greatest stack depth ..."

Michel Alexandre Salim michael.silvanus at
Sun Sep 13 14:20:17 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 4:26 AM, Joachim Backes
<joachim.backes at> wrote:
> On 09/13/2009 10:12 AM, Joachim Backes wrote:
>> I'm wondering about weird messages in F12 if some programes are finished:
>> for example: "du used greatest stack depth: 4772 bytes used"
> Sorry for typo: should be:
>               "du used greatest stack depth: 4772 bytes left"
> Remark: The message does not always appear for such a program (du for
> example).
>> Who is the issuer of such messages? How can I get rid of them?

I'm guessing it's some debugging functionality in glibc, and it'd be
turned off for the final release.

Michel Alexandre Salim